Monday, July 8, 2013

Honey Roasted Cinnamon Almonds

Hello my healthy hedonists!

I was at Trader Joe's the other day, and bought their roasted almonds that had been coated in sugar and cinnamon. OH MY GOD-- to die for. After eating the entire bag by myself in less than a week, I wondered how I could make a healthier version for a daily snack that won't make me feel bad when I eat it.

I looked up the formula for making honey roasted almonds, and then I started throwing whatever spices that I wanted into the pot. MMMMMHHMM-- so freaking yummy. Especially since I decided to add some coconut oil into the mix which adds nutrition AND a super yummy nutty flavor.

Here it is!

Recipe
**Caution: When I cook, I do not use measurements. So when I write out recipes for you, I try my best to imagine exactly how much that I used. Exact measurements may vary, and you should use your senses to add more of anything if you feel the need to. 

  • 2 cups almonds (preferably not already roasted)
  • 8 tbs water
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
  • 1/3 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1/3 tsp salt
  • A few sprinkles of cayenne pepper (a little goes a LONG way)
  • 1 tbs coconut oil

  1. Spread almonds on a baking sheet, and roasted at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
  2. After they are done, heat up all other ingredients in a pot on medium/high-- mixing often. 
  3. When mixture starts to simmer, immediately add almonds.
  4. Stir often for about 5 minutes (or until the liquid becomes a simple syrupy consistency). 
  5. Once there is little syrup left (try not to burn), pour mixture over parchment paper on your baking sheet.
  6. Sprinkle with any more spices that you like (salt, cinnamon, cardamom, all spice, black pepper). 
  7. Do not try until the nuts are completely cool.

Can you say yum? YUUUUM! 

Hope you enjoy. ;-) 

Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment